Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Tree Table Topper

My best friend suggested that I make this. It is absolutely adorable, and I was happy to oblige. Rather than make a wall hanging, I opted for a table pad. They are great sized projects, not too big, not too little. Recently, I recently bought some specialty rulers to help with cutting 30 and 60 degree angles, and this seemed like the perfect project to try to them out.


Even with the rulers, I created paper templates for the tree blocks. My intention was to have the blocks be a 6"x 6" when finished, but they ended up being 5.5" x 5.5", which was just fine. I used a selection of fabrics from my stash, which included far more greens than I reaslized.


To make life a bit easier and ensure that all of the seams stayed in the right direction, I used iron-on batting. The backing is a solid dark green, and folded up the edges to make the binding.


To quilt the piece, I sewed 'snowflakes', which three to five stitches arms.




I'm very happy with the final product. It may end up being a gift, or I may end up keeping it...because we don't have enough Christmas stuff already.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! So happy you decided to make this :) But you do know that now you have opened a door... get ready for more project recommendations!

    ReplyDelete