Even with the rulers, I created paper templates for the tree blocks. My intention was to have the blocks be a 6"x 6" when finished, but they ended up being 5.5" x 5.5", which was just fine. I used a selection of fabrics from my stash, which included far more greens than I reaslized.
To make life a bit easier and ensure that all of the seams stayed in the right direction, I used iron-on batting. The backing is a solid dark green, and folded up the edges to make the binding.
To quilt the piece, I sewed 'snowflakes', which three to five stitches arms.
I'm very happy with the final product. It may end up being a gift, or I may end up keeping it...because we don't have enough Christmas stuff already.