The first step was to design the paper piecing pattern. Since we don't have a printer setup at the moment, I drafted it on 1/4" graph paper and made four copies. The strip is 1" wide.
And then cut the materials.
Once I had finished sewing the middle section, it looked like hell!
Once I cut off the excess to a 1/4" seam allowance, it really started to take shape.
The dark purple fabric with the flowers had sections that are dark purple, black, and gold. I added a half inch border to each side of the ribbon.
And then adding an inch of the light tonal purple. I used the light purple as the backing as well, leaving a 2 or so inch opening on one of the solid sides to insert the batting.
Once I had the batting inside, I sewed up the opening and voila! I added stitch in the ditch top stitch between the light purple and dark purple strips to bind the layers.
I'll work up a proper pattern soon!